When it comes to the digital transformation, many organizations are hesitant about automating processes. Even though automated solutions can save time, money, and resources by streamlining processes and eliminating redundant tasks, it’s often an uphill battle for adoption. In fact, a recent study from Aberdeen Group found that only 24% of people are willing to adopt automation software in their job. And if that’s not enough, a Gartner report found that just 20% of implementations fail because of technology limitations. The other 80% fail due to human factors like inadequate preparation or lack of buy-in among key users. So, what can we learn from all this? That there is no technology implementation so straightforward that it cannot go awry unless every human element has been thought through carefully beforehand. In this blog post, we look at three critical factors for successful adoption of any kind of automation technology:
Clear Communication and Visibility
When it comes to any kind of change management, clear communication is key. Automation technology can significantly impact many areas of employees’ workflow, and so it’s important to clearly communicate how it will affect employees’ day-to-day tasks. The specific changes that employees will experience will vary depending on the type of automation solution you’re implementing. But for example, if you’re implementing a robotic process automation system to replace or augment manual activities, employees will need to know what process activities will be affected or even eliminated as well as what will be expected of them as they work alongside the new technology. This communication is essential because it helps employees to understand the benefits of the new technology, how it will impact their current workflow, as well as how to engage with the new system.
Ongoing Employee Education
In addition to clear communication, it’s important to offer ongoing education to employees once the automation solution is implemented. This education is valuable, as not only will it help employees to better understand how the tool works, but it also offers an opportunity to reinforce how it benefits the organization. For example, if you’re implementing a robotic process automation solution, the training will help employees understand how their actions are triggering software-driven actions that are executing the process steps. It will also help employees learn how to engage with the software and how the software will interact with other systems. This education is essential for success, as it will help employees to feel more confident in their ability to use the new technology, which will in turn increase adoption.
User Feedback and Review Process
The last factor to keep in mind when implementing a new technology is to establish a regular feedback and review process for users. As automation solutions become part of the organization’s daily operations, it’s important that employees are given an opportunity to provide feedback on how the new tool is impacting their work and if there are areas of opportunity for improvement. This feedback is essential, as it will help you to identify and prioritize the improvements that are most important based on what your employees are experiencing as they interact with the new technology. It will also help to build buy-in from employees as they become invested in the success of the automation solution. Lastly, it will help you to identify any areas of improvement that are needed for the technology to work as it should.
The digital transformation is inevitable, but many organizations are hesitant about automating processes. When it comes to implementing automation technology, it’s important to keep in mind three key factors: clear communication, ongoing employee education, and user feedback and process review. When these factors are considered, the result is a more successful implementation and a happier workforce.